Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Vitiligo Update - My Personal Journey - Updates Along the Way

March 11, 2015
-------------------------------------------------------------
I'm in denial it's another year. It's crazy. Time has FLEW BY. Anyways thought I'd do a Vitiligo update. I decided to start using my Protopic cream again. I only apply it at night when I say in PA (Monday-Wednesday nights). You're "supposed" to apply it twice but I've recently had no time to apply it in the morning. I wake up at 5:40AM and you're supposed to wait 15 minutes before you can do anything... and that's just not enough time for me in between getting dressed, putting makeup on, and feeding the cats before I have to get out the house by 6:30AM. When co-op ends and I'm back to classes I'll be able to apply it 2x a day. I also have an appointment with UPenn Dermatology soon, hopefully they can give me more information.

Anyways, update: there is one spot on my right hand, middle finger that you can see visibly got larger. I think the area under my lips is getting worse too... but I can't tell. I'm trying not to stare/over-analyze every spot, because stress only makes it worse. I'm thankful for a supportive and kind boyfriend and a bright looking future!

Anyways, here are some great research articles I found on vitiligo and diet. I want to try to follow it, but it basically tells me not to eat my favorite foods. I LOVE spicy food and pickles! If anyone has other comments/new research please message me!!! Would love to hear any new updates.
http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/24976.pdf
http://iosrjournals.org/iosr-jdms/papers/Vol13-issue7/Version-1/I013713942.pdf
(This one is on Protopic) http://www.amjorthopedics.com/fileadmin/qhi_archive/ArticlePDF/CT/071020158.pdf

October 22, 2014
-------------------------------------------------------------
I just turned 21 a few days ago, 7 days to be exact! Since the last update in February I went to Drexel Dermatology and received two steroid medicated creams. I don't think they have made a difference.

My vitiligo is around my eyes, I still have the "panda eyes" but they are further out than in February. The vitiligo has not connected on my nose bridge yet. I have it on the first joint of all my fingers and toes (will attach pictures).

February 17, 2014
--------------------------------------------------------------
I have noticed my vitiligo did spread. It appeared right underneath my nose (in between my upper lip and nose). My "panda eyes" have spread to underneath my right eye. It only spread on areas on my finger and my face, not anywhere on my body. I did notice a tiny spot on my right elbow... Nothing noticeable or dramatic though.

I have been drinking a "green" smoothie at least 3x a week now also. Mostly comprises of:
2 handfuls of baby spinach
frozen mango
frozen strawberries
frozen raspberries
2 tbsp of honey
flaxseed
chia seeds
coconut or almond milk.

The smoothie makes me feel full and it's also a "detox" drink so it cleanses my body and gives me the fluids that I miss out on. Loving it! And very affordable. I get most of my frozen ingredients at Trader Joe's.

February 3, 2014
--------------------------------------------------------------
I recently started applying Extra Virgin Organic Coconut oil to my face and hands before I go to sleep everyday. Not only does it moisturize my hands, it is supposed to help with vitiligo.

It does leave your hand "shiny" but not greasy like olive oil. And the coconut oil is so thin that your skin absorbs it within 10-20 minutes and just leaves your hand smooth and moisturized. Loving it!

Update: I've been using it for a week, I don't see a difference with my vitiligo - but my skin feels nicer and less dry.


Summer of 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------
In the summer of 2011 I went to China to visit my grandparents. Another minor reason is because it was an opportunity to get some herbal medicine.

In China, to get anything better than average, you need connections. So thank goodness for me, my mom has a lot of "high-power" connections in China, who was able to lead me straight to the doctor's office, cutting about 3 hour's worth of waiting in line and documentation. My prescription had over 25+ herbal roots, most of which I probably can't even translate to English. We bought 100 bags (the max we were allowed to buy), and spent over $1,000 USD.

When we got back to USA with one and a half giant suitcase filled with my medicine, we set about boiling the first batch. We had to buy a clay pot just for it. The medicine was a deep brown color, and tasted terrible, you can also smell it probably from down the block. I had to drink it twice a day, once when I wake up, and once before I go to sleep. I maintained this schedule for about 4 months before I had to go back to college, and was unable to boil it for myself.

Progress: In this time period, my vitiligo did not get better, but it also didn't get dramatically worse. Also, the medicine is so strong, if you drink it for a long period, it actually causes kidney/liver failure (the doctor warned me).

I don't think it did much... and it was a pain to boil and disgusting to drink. None-the-less, I do drink it every time I go back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment